The SIH Brain & Spine Institute offers some of the most advanced treatments and surgical techniques for patients with brain and spinal injuries or conditions. An interdisciplinary team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, hospitalists, rehabilitation specialist and advance nurses will provide balanced care for these complex patients.
Inpatient Neurology Unit
We are pleased to have opened a dedicated neurology unit on the third floor of Memorial Hospital of Carbondale. The rooms on the unit have specific equipment installed for neurologic care including continuous EEG with video monitoring.
Disease & Condition Management
Our Inpatient Neurology Service provides care for patients with neurological injuries and conditions such as:
- Intracranial hemorrhage, subarachnoid hemorrhage and subdural hematoma
- Cerebral Edema
- Neurological prognostication after brain injury
- Confirmation of diagnosis and second opinion on brain death
- Demyelinating conditions
- Neuroimmunological emergencies
- Respiratory failure and mechanical ventilation in neurologically ill patients
- Neurosurgical post operative recovery
- Status epilepticus
- Neurological infections
- Traumatic brain injury
- Evoked Potentials
- Lumbar punctures
- Intraventricular Thrombolysis
- Placement and Management of external ventricular drains
- Ventilator management of Neurocritical Care Patients
- Fiber Optic intracranial Pressure Monitoring
- Central Line Placement and Monitoring
- Arterial Line Placement and Monitoring
- Lumbar drains
What is a Neurointensivist?
The Neurointensivist specializes in the care of patients suffering from strokes and other severe neurological problems. Caring for this population of patients requires a highly specialized multi-disciplinary approach and state of the art infrastructure. Dr. Alejandro Hornik has recently joined SIH to provide this valuable service and will focus on the neurological in-patients.
For more information, call 618.351.4972.