Southern Illinois Healthcare is pleased to offer a new chronic disease self management program, Take Charge of Your Health: Live Well, Be Well, that empowers individuals with chronic conditions to manage their own care and improve their quality of life. Every day, millions of people with chronic conditions across the United States, and here in Southern Illinois, struggle to manage their condition and the associated symptoms. Addressing chronic conditions requires new strategies to prevent or delay complications, improve function, and address the problems people experience in their day-to-day lives.
Take Charge of Your Health
Take Charge of Your Health is a workshop given once a week for six weeks in community settings such as senior centers, churches, clinics and hospitals. This program helps individuals with chronic conditions learn how to manage and improve their own health, while reducing their health care costs. The program focuses on problems that are common to those dealing with chronic health conditions and is designed to enhance regular treatment and disease specific education, such as cardiac rehabilitation or diabetes instruction.
Topics Covered Include:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as pain, fatigue, isolation and frustration
- Physical activity for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- Effective communication with family, friends and health professionals
- Decision making and problem solving
- Setting personal goals
- Evaluating new treatments
Who Should Attend
- Adults over the age of 18 living with a chronic health condition such as arthritis, heart disease, asthma, lung disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s, and others
- Caregivers of anyone with a chronic health condition
Southern Illinois Healthcare has teamed up with the Diabetes Today Resource Teams and other community partners throughout the lower 15 counties of southern Illinois to offer this program at convenient locations throughout the region. For more information or to find a workshop near you, contact the SIH Community Benefits department at 618.457.5200 extension 67837.