The current expansion at Memorial Hospital of Carbondale features a revolutionary trend in surgical services, the hybrid operating room. Here are five reasons why it’s so monumental.
1. Patient safety. Because everything happens in one room, any complications or emergencies can be handled immediately and in one spot without causing further complications or putting the patient at risk.
2. Cost saving for the patient. Your condition may require multiple procedures. The hybrid OR allows us to treat multiple issues in one room. Fewer individual trips for procedures means more efficiency and less cost.
3. State-of-the-art imaging during surgery. The room features some of the best angiographic capabilities, including a robotic X-ray arm and fluoroscopy (real-time imaging). Typically this technology is available in the Imaging Department of a hospital or in the Catheterization Lab, but not in the OR. For the first time surgeons can make real-time assessments during procedures using instantaneous images. Surgeons can then immediately follow a diagnostic procedure with a therapeutic one.
4. It allows us to do more complex procedures. Advancing healthcare in southern Illinois starts with physicians with skilled, diverse backgrounds. Once in place and given the right environment in a hybrid OR, advanced procedures, such as complex cardiovascular repair, can happen. Here are just a few:
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Endovascular thoracic aortic repair (TEVAR)
- Combined angioplasty/stent with structural heart intervention
- Endovascular abdominal/thoracic aortic repair (EVAR)
5. Physicians with different skills can work simultaneously. Every case is different. If you have multiple conditions, you want the comfort of a team approach to your care. The hybrid allows physicians of different specialties to work together at the table.