SIH has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in ultrasound as the result of an extensive review by the American College of Radiology (ACR). Ultrasound imaging, also known as sonography, uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of internal body parts to help providers diagnose illness, injury or other medical problems.
What does ACR accreditation mean for SIH patients?
- SIH has voluntarily gone through a rigorous review process to ensure that we meet nationally-accepted standards of care.
- Our ultrasound personnel are well qualified, through education and certification, to perform medical imaging and administer your ultrasound examinations. Our radiologists are board certified through the American Board of Radiology to interpret your ultrasound images.
- SIH equipment is appropriate for the test or treatment you will receive and our facility meets or exceeds quality assurance and safety guidelines.
The SIH Ultrasound departments successfully renewed accreditation at six locations and added an additional accreditation at a seventh site.
- Memorial Hospital of Carbondale (MHC) Ultrasound.
- Herrin Hospital Ultrasound
- Logan Primary Ultrasound
- Benton Diagnostic Center Ultrasound
- St. Joseph Memorial Hospital Ultrasound
- Center for Medical Arts Ultrasound
- Primary Care Harrisburg obtained their initial accreditation for Ultrasound
The ACR gold seal of accreditation at SIH represents the highest level of image quality and patient safety. It is awarded only to facilities meeting ACR Practice Parameters and Technical Standards, following a peer-review evaluation by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field. Image quality, personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures and quality assurance programs are assessed. The findings are reported to the ACR Committee on Accreditation, which subsequently provides the practice with a comprehensive report that can be used for continuous practice improvement.
The ACR, founded in 1924, is a professional medical society dedicated to serving patients and society by empowering radiology professionals to advance the practice, science, and professions of radiological care. The College serves more than 37,000 diagnostic/interventional radiologists, radiation oncologists, nuclear medicine physicians, and medical physicists with programs focusing on the practice of medical imaging and radiation oncology and the delivery of comprehensive health care services.
The Imaging leadership is VERY proud of the work done by their sonographers and radiologists to achieve and maintain American College of Radiology Ultrasound accreditation for the scope of Ultrasound services they offer at numerous SIH locations.
Ultrasound patients at SIH are able to feel confident with the expertise of our entire ultrasound team who work collaboratively to ensure that we deliver high-quality care to our patients.