da Vinci Surgical System
The da Vinci System consists of an ergonomic surgeon’s console, a patient-side cart with four interactive robotic arms, a 3D HD vision system and miniaturized wristed instruments. Powered by state-of-the-art technology, the da Vinci System is designed to scale, filter and seamlessly translate the surgeon’s hand movements into more precise movements of the instrument tips. The net result is an intuitive interface with breakthrough surgical capabilities.
Improvements Over Conventional Laparoscopy
The da Vinci System is a remarkable improvement over conventional laparoscopy, in which the surgeon operates while standing and uses hand-held, long-shafted instruments that cannot bend or rotate. With conventional laparoscopy, the surgeon must look up and away from the instruments to a nearby 2D video monitor to see an image of the target anatomy.
In contrast to conventional procedures, the da Vinci Surgical System includes:
- Ergonomic design allows the surgeon to operate from a comfortable, seated position at the console, with eyes and hands positioned in line with the instruments.
- To move the instruments or to reposition the camera, the surgeon simply moves his/her hands.
- Target anatomy appears at high magnification, in brilliant color and with natural depth of field.
- The EndoWrist instruments’ jointed-wrist design exceeds the range of motion of the human hand. Motion scaling and tremor reduction further interpret and refine the surgeon’s hand movements.
- Incorporates multiple safety features designed to minimize risks and error.