A strong stand against stroke takes powerful collaboration and training. Memorial Hospital of Carbondale has joined the ranks of elite hospitals, those designated as Primary Stroke Centers. With Herrin and St. Joseph Memorial Hospitals in the stroke network, SIH has assembled the right doctors, technology and stroke ready team to treat a stroke FAST.
A Stroke Is a Medical Emergency
A stroke is actually caused by a blood flow (vascular) issue. It happens when blood flow is cut off to the brain and should be treated as a medical emergency. The most effective stroke treatments are only available if the stroke is recognized and diagnosed within the first three hours of the first symptoms. Know the stroke symptoms and call 9-1-1 immediately.
Common Stroke Symptoms Include:
- SUDDEN numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg—especially on one side of the body.
- SUDDEN confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
- SUDDEN trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- SUDDEN trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- SUDDEN severe headache with no known cause.
Note the time you experienced your first symptom.
This information is important to your healthcare provider and can affect treatment decisions.