SIH Point of Entry, Visitor Changes
Call our 24/7 COVID-19 hotline if you have fever, cough, or concerns about exposure 844.988.7800
COVID-19 prompts additional safety measures at SIH hospitals
For the health, safety and well-being of our patients, visitors and staff, SIH has implemented changes to entry points at SIH Memorial Hospital of Carbondale, SIH Herrin Hospital and SIH St. Joseph Memorial Hospital until further notice. Entry to each hospital will be limited to the main and Emergency Department entrances. Signage is in place to direct flow into each hospital.
Effective Monday, March 23, SIH has made the decision to suspend visitation within its facilities until further notice. Exceptions are possible in extraordinary circumstances. Visitors who meet the exceptions will be screened before entering a waiting or patient care area. The full policy is available below.
SIH No Visitor PolicyToggle accordion item
Due to the ongoing threat of community transmission involving the COVID-19 virus, SIH announces a no-visitor policy for patients hospitalized in our facilities. This decision, effective immediately, is made in the best interest of patients, healthcare providers and staff. Nurse leaders will work with families for exceptions involving end of life care.
- Birthing Center patients may have one dedicated support person
- Pediatric/Special Care Unit patients may have one parent/guardian at a time
- Patients with behavioral health, developmental delays or altered mental status for whom a family member or caregiver is integral to their care or safety may have one dedicated support person
- Patients in the Emergency Department may have one dedicated support person
- Patients at end-of-life may have one dedicated support person
- Other considerations made on a case-by-case basis when essential to ensure the emotional well-being and care of the patient.
All visitors to SIH facilities will have their temperature checked and complete a COVID-19 screening upon entry. Visitors will not be allowed to enter if they have fever, respiratory symptoms or exposure risk. Visitors under the age of 18 will not be permitted.
Visitors who are permitted must:
- Remain in the patient’s room for duration of visit with no access to other areas in the hospital (i.e. cafeteria, waiting rooms)
- Not enter the room during nasopharyngeal (NP) specimen collection or aerosol-generating procedures
- Perform hand hygiene at point of screening and upon entry/exit of the patient’s room
- Notify the clinical care team if they develop signs or symptoms of illness during visit
SIH thanks the community for its understanding and support of difficult decisions such as this as we work to keep our region safe.