Chest Pain and Heart Attack Services
Chest pain is a common complaint for a number of ER patients. The symptom itself can mean the situation is critical or it could be a result of an upset stomach.
Our experts at SIH Memorial Hospital of Carbondale and SIH Herrin Hospital, both accredited Chest Pain Centers, know the difference. We’re here to figure out what’s causing your chest pain, to rule out the worst — and if it is a heart attack, we’ll be here to save your life.
Accredited Chest Pain Centers make sure that treatment happens immediately — in half the time it takes many other U.S. hospitals to deliver care. These centers offer better chest pain care, prognosis and quality of life for patients.
6 heart attack symptoms
Never ignore a heart attack symptom. The longer you wait to get help, the greater the chance your heart could be permanently damaged.
Call 911 if you experience any of the following:
- You have sudden crushing, squeezing, tightening or pressure in your chest.
- Pain radiates to your jaw, left arm or between your shoulder blades.
- You have nausea, dizziness, sweating, a racing heart or shortness of breath.
- You know you have angina and your chest discomfort is suddenly more intense, brought on by lighter activity or lasts longer than usual.
- Your angina symptoms occur at rest.
- You have sudden sharp chest pain with shortness of breath, especially after a stretch of bed rest (for example, following an operation), or other lack of movement that can lead to a blood clot in your leg.
Prairie STAT Heart Hospital Network
When a heart attack strikes, it’s a race against time. Experts agree: Treatment within the first 90 minutes of a heart event is essential. In a region as vast and rural as Southern Illinois, we want to make sure you’re getting treatment as fast as possible, just like you would if you lived in a big city.
To close the gap between diagnosis and treatment, Prairie STAT Heart was born. This coordinated program was created by SIH Memorial Hospital of Carbondale and medical staff at area community hospitals throughout Southern Illinois.
The program focuses on streamlining emergency care in rural communities. That means that just one call from a community hospital sets in motion several doctors, nurses, technicians and first responders who will be ready to care for you when you arrive at our hospital. If you’re having a heart attack, The Prairie STAT Heart program will get you from an ER to SIH Memorial Hospital of Carbondale for proper treatment within 90 minutes.