The Breast Center
When it comes to an abnormality of the breast, you want answers. The Breast Center is the region’s leader in prevention and treatment of breast cancer. Our facility is the first in southern Illinois to bring patients 3D mammography (or breast tomosynthesis). Our skilled and compassionate staff uses the latest technology in a patient-friendly facility.
Services Offered at The Breast Center
- Digital & 3D Mammography: 3D mammography (or breast tomosynthesis) increases the accuracy and detection of breast cancers, especially cancers in younger women, in women with dense breasts and in pre- or peri-menopausal women. Additionally, breast ultrasound is also an integral part of your work-up.
- Minimally Invasive Biopsy Technique: If needed, minimally invasive biopsy techniques are available for same-day visits. If a suspicious area is found, an on-site biopsy allows us to immediately sample the area and make a diagnosis. This procedure reduces the time you spend waiting for answers.
- Risk Assessment: Risk assessment and counseling for women with risk factors is also available. Your personal breast cancer risk can be estimated, and options for enhanced screenings and/or prevention can be evaluated.
- Genetic Counseling: When appropriate, genetic counseling and testing are available through our breast care surgeons.
- Breast MRI: If a breast MRI is necessary, MRI imaging technology is available at the Memorial Hospital of Carbondale.
Breast Cancer Care
The Breast Cancer Care Team meets weekly to review prospective treatment planning for every newly diagnosed cancer patient. The team includes the surgeon, radiologist, medical oncologist, pathologist, radiation oncologist and nurse navigator. Together, the team decides the best course of treatment and the treatment plan is reported back to your physician.
About SIH Cancer Care Teams
Undergoing surgery, chemotherapy, and/or radiation for breast cancer will make patients susceptible to many side effects. An especially designed regimen of cancer rehabilitation can help patients overcome symptoms for many of these conditions.
About Cancer Rehabilitation