SIH hospitals and the Cancer Institute are the pillars of Southern Illinois Healthcare. Each of these amazing facilities is dedicated to the well-being of every patient that comes through the door. In an effort to keep up with the growing healthcare demand, our facilities continue to expand. The expansion of SIH has a sizeable economic impact in the southern Illinois region and personal impact on the patients and their families. The SIH Foundation continues to support the work of SIH on projects that are best for our patients and community.
Herrin HospitalToggle accordion item
SIH Herrin Hospital's reputation for high quality care and attention to detail is proof that a rural facility can have huge achievements in quality. The longest-serving SIH hospital, SIH Herrin Hospital is well known for both rehabilitation and emergency services, including recognition for outstanding work responding to heart attack patients. Highlights include:
- 114-bed, acute inpatient and outpatient hospital care.
- A newly expanded Emergency Department, which includes the region's first accredited Chest Pain Center.
- A nationally acclaimed acute rehabilitation offered through an alliance with the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab.
- The area's only bariatric surgical program for weight loss.
- Home to the therapeutic Healing Garden, open to the public for relaxation and used by patients for physical therapy exercise.
- Membership of the prestigious Schwartz Center for Compassionate Care, "a national non-profit, leading the movement to bring compassion to every patient-caregiver interaction."
Memorial Hospital of CarbondaleToggle accordion item
Memorial Hospital of Carbondale is the flagship hospital for SIH and regional referral center for the 16 county southern Illinois region. Memorial paves the way to bring big city medicine home. Physicians in over 45 different specialties practice here, bringing expertise and new procedures, but successfully tailoring them to the particular needs of a rural setting.
- 154-bed tertiary care hospital
- Southern Illinois’ largest and most spacious birthing center with Level II Plus Special Care Nursery
- Only dedicated pediatric unit in the region
- The core hospital for SIH’s comprehensive, regional heart program, Prairie Heart Institute.
- High level surgical capabilities including daVinci technology
- Affiliated with SIU School of Medicine through its Family Practice Residency Program
- Neuroscience program including neurosurgery and a designated Primary Stroke Center
- Accredited by the Commission on Cancer for comprehensive cancer treatment
St. Joseph Memorial HospitalToggle accordion item
St. Joseph Memorial Hospital has been a fixture in the Murphysboro community for over half a century. It is a full-service, critical access hospital. Purchased from the Sisters of the ASC Health System, St. Joseph is the only SIH facility with a Catholic affiliation. The staff takes pride in the hospital’s spiritual roots, which is evident in their daily approach to patient care. Employee and physician satisfaction consistently ranks in the 99th percentile. St. Joseph is an integral part of the SIH system, having evolved over time to become regional provider of specialized outpatient services.
- 25-bed critical access hospital serving the community as an inpatient facility for primary care
- Regional Sleep Disorders Center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Area’s only coordinated infusion therapy program
- Comprehensive wound care center with hyperbaric therapy
- Home to an outpatient geriatric counseling program
- Area leader for outpatient endoscopic procedures
- Busy Emergency Department that is part of the Prairie STAT Heart Network
Trauma Center at Memorial Hospital of CarbondaleToggle accordion item
In 2019, SIH Memorial Hospital of Carbondale received designation as a Level II Trauma Center. The hospital is now equipped and staffed to provide specialized care to victims of major traumatic injuries, such as a long fall or a farming accident. But a trauma center is not just a place for treatment – it is a comprehensive service that starts at the moment of injury and doesn’t end until the patient returns to pre-injury function, or as close to it as possible. It also includes preventative components:
- Community outreach
- EMS education and collaboration
- Rehab partnership
- Advanced surgical care
- Modern delivery of surgical services (Acute Care Surgery)
Cancer InstituteToggle accordion item
The SIH Cancer Institute is the region's only comprehensive cancer treatment center, and serves as a single site for state-of-the-art convenient and compassionate cancer treatment. Designed and infused with natural elements and beauty, the SIH Cancer Institute provides comprehensive care under a single roof, with a unique team approach to care. Elements of the Institute include:
- Radiation Oncology
- Infusion Center
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Patient Navigation
- Cancer Registry
- Cancer Resource Center
The SIH Cancer Institute has become a tremendous asset to the people of Southern Illinois and surrounding region, bringing the highest quality of cancer treatment home. The SIH Foundation continues the effort of fundraising for the Institute as it grows. We are committed to the well-being of all people in our region.